Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Feeling Blocked?

I can relate.
Writers block... there is just one word to accurately to describe it: UGGGGH!
Yes, that's very accurate. Unfortunately there isn't a specific cure to writer's block. but there are many  things that could help...
  • Try Reading. Maybe something in the story you are reading will spark one of your own. It normally does for me. (Just be careful not to take the work of someone else.)
  • MUSIC! Namely: Imagine Dragons. All of their songs tend to be epic and awesome, especially Bleeding Out.
  • Pinterest always helps me a ton. Just go to the search bar and search boards called 'Writing Inspiration, Novel Inspiration, or I am an Author/Writer. Future Characters, Male Characters, Female Characters... Search that if you aren't already following a ton of writing boards... like me.
  • Take a break. You might have just been writing for so hacking long, that your brain locked up. In that case, you probably should go jogging or something.
  • Reread what you have. Sometimes the reason your brain refuses to flow with ideas, is because of a rut your accidentally created in the story earlier. Maybe you'll find something to fix, or help with what you need to write next if you look back at what you have.
  • Talk to someone about it. Tell someone about the story, and what has you stumped, maybe an outsiders opinion can help.
  • Watch any BBC program. Ah yes, BBC, my love. The magical television network that created Merlin, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, North and South, Wives and Daughters, MI-5, Top Gear... Shall I go on? I'm sure SOMETHING in the BBC will help. Steven Moffat might help you realize that it is really okay, but not okay, to just... kill the character. (In the most heart wrenching way possible.)
Okay, well that's what I normally do during a writer's block. Or write on this lonely little blog of mine. If none of that helps... well I'm not sure what to tell you...


Music while writing this post? (It's Time - Imagine Dragons)

2 comments:

  1. Great post…except that I'm boycotting BBC. lol

    Merlin… :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock and Doctor Who will definitely help with the hurt of Merlin. I promise.

      Delete